Independence Day is around the corner, which means BBQ, pool parties and of course, an evening of fireworks speckling through the night sky. But while we revel in celebration, our dogs are often experiencing anxiety. Lucy Postins, the founder of The Honest Kitchen, a family owned company that makes healthy, dehydrated pet foods, recognized the issues dog owners face on this holiday and has created a recipe to share with you that will help calm your pup’s nerves by using a very special ingedient; The Honest Kitchen’s Quiet Tea. Beau and I have not tried these, but I know the Honest Kitchen and they are a truly wonderful company…so I’m thinking we might be making we might be makin’ some meatballs on Wednesday morning ! If you try this recipie, please let us know how it worked at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calming Independence Meat Balls from the Honest Kitchen
These meat balls are exceedingly easy to make, and have the added benefit of helping to calm down pups who get anxious at big gatherings or the sound of firework displays. Turkey is naturally high in sedating Tryptophan, and the Quiet Tea is a blend of herbs that will infuse each meatball with calming, soothing properties to help July 4th pass by with a little less stress.
6 tbsp Honest Kitchen Quiet Tea®
1 cup hot water or hot organic free range chicken broth
1 cup of Honest Kitchen Preference® dehydrated dog food
2 tbsp of ground Flaxseed
1 ½ lb of ground Turkey (raw or sautéed depending what you’re comfortable with)
1 tsp Coconut Oil
2 cups full fat Plain Yogurt
1 Banana, sliced
½ cup Coconut Flakes
What to do
- Steep the Quiet Tea in the hot water or broth in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Measure out the Preference into a separate bowl and add the flaxseed.
- Add the tea to the Preference to rehydrate it.
- Mix in the ground turkey, then add the coconut oil, and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Roll into meatballs, then roll each meatball in yogurt, and top with coconut flakes and a couple of banana slices.
- Refrigerate, and take out when you’re ready to serve!